Behance

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Willow

I'll start with the name. Its pretty clear its not a Willow Tree, and I myself am unsure if I'm calling the girl Willow or the concept by the name.

Initially, I was going to draw two women in a struggle, referencing a photograph of two female contemporary dancers, but I decided it would be more power and appropriate to my theme Black as Ink if I had a single woman sort of captured by nature. She is static like a statue, hence the young girl looking at her.

The idea behind this is that black women are seen as being closest to nature, the tree in this case being nature, holds the struggling woman, either supporting or hindering her. She stands as a legacy for the young black girl to look upon and learn from.

A lot of metaphors and concepts working in this work, but hey in the end, I wanted it to look great, I don't expect you to read all the above, but if you get here, you probably did :P

Leave a comment, share, all is appreciated.

Peace :)
Sent via my BlackBerry from Vodacom - let your email find you!

No comments:

Post a Comment