Behance

Monday, February 11, 2013

Black as Ink : sketches of black women

These are a few sketches for a series I'm working on during the course of this year, called Black as Ink. In this theme I will be exploring different situation of black culture.

The purpose I guess is a way for me to perhaps looking into the roots of being black, what it means for me, and how it is represented in the 21st century cultural melting pot.

So far I'm influenced by characteristics that define black women in their features such as their hair, and what they do. Not to make this a boring serious of awesome looking paintings and pictures, I'm also trying to juxtapose black and asian people in different situations, by incorporating various themes, such as hip hop culture. Which is a very prominent movement in black culture from the US to South Africa, to the UK and beyond.

My hope is to start an exploration my own way into what I find beautiful in black culture, blackness, hip hop, and what influences myself and other black people.

These few starting sketches are my documentation thus far, I will add paintings as I finish them, as well as more conceptual sketches as I apply them to projects and so on. I will also allow for commissions either of a piece centred around blackness or of black people and asian culture(not limited to)

This as much an exploration for me as it is an introduction for you into, my ideas :) so please follow me in the journey, and comment.

Thanks!
Sent via my BlackBerry from Vodacom - let your email find you!

No comments:

Post a Comment